IONclad Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Ubuntu: Finding a replacement for Painter XI

MyPaint for Linux. website

I have tried many digital painting Apps in my day.  Over the years I have been on a continuous quest for the App that does it best.    As close to the real tools as possible.  With my beloved Wacom 12x9 I have become quite used to the digital painting phenomenon.

MyPaint, short on name, tall on ability.  Though I did notice a marked difference in features between the Linux and the Windows version.

I would strongly recommend trying out this amazing painting tool.

Success, I have found a replacement for PainterXI.  In every critical way, MyPaint does a better job.  In fact, I've tested Painter8, Deep Paint, Photoshop7/CS1/CS2/CS3, Krita (linux), Paint.net, ArtRage, and a few others...

Clearly to me, MyPaint scores the highest in the coveted 'realism' department.  Not so much it's ability to convincingly simulate goo, or watercolour, no it's the ultra-responsive smoothness that I want.  Using a blending stump, or a pencil, it's the closest digital package has come to the real feel and performance of these real world tools, IMO.

Note: upgrading to 10.10 will ensure better tablet compatibility.  If not for MyPaint, than for Gimp.  10.10 brings pressure sensitivity to Gimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment